So 2016 has been and gone. It was generally speaking a good year for me personally. I got a new house, a new car, won my battle with BT for compensation for my internet issues, broke 200 subscribers on my YouTube channel (albeit briefly!) and had a great Christmas with my family and loved ones.
I’ve made and strengthened some amazing friendships, thanks to the internet, including (but not limited to) The Bromigos, The Couch Crashers, The League of Ordinary Gamers and all associated followers, members and “fans” (I hate that word, but can’t think of another suitable one at the moment).
I’ve decided to make 2017 somewhat different. I have goals that I have set myself which are not YouTube related, and goals that ARE YouTube related. To achieve them, I’m going to need a little understanding from my subscribers (that’s the word, not fans!), a fair bit of understanding from my friends and family and a ton of hard work from me. I wanted to share these goals with you, so that you can track my progress and share in the trials and tribulations of my successes (and possibly failures). With all this in mind, there will need to be some drastic changes to the way I run my online and offline life.
YouTube Content Goals
- My YouTube channel will essentially become the place for occasional Vlogs, Tekkit: The Return, and the occasional livestream – no new series’ are planned for the channel, with the exception of POSSIBLY running a stream/recorded content of my Monday night Roll20 D&D sessions – this idea wholly depends on whether the people I play with agree to allow me to do this.
- I will continue to Stream with the Couch Crashers every Friday on the Couch Crashers channel .
- Vaygrim’s Chance Season 4 content (which I know is sporadic at the moment, my apologies) will go up on the Bromigo’s Channel.
- I’m going to be studying for my Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) in Server 2016 and Windows 10 – I have around 9 months to study and take the exam – no pressure!
- After I have completed the above, I will be studying for the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) – I want this to be completed by Xmas 2017.
- Continue to assist Dawgeth to help him grow Aim2Game as a business, and hopefully help him find time to concentrate on HIS goals
On top of all this, from 25th January 2017, I’ll be spending 14 days in New Zealand, where I’ll be pretty much off the grid regarding YouTube, Twitter, Facebook etc, then when I return, I’ll be spending a lot of time away from home with work to get a project finished before April, so again I will probably only be able to produce vlogs while at hotels during the week, while trying to spend time with my family at the weekends.
I’m not expecting my YouTube channel to grow at all over 2017, and I’m fine with that. I appreciate the support I have of my friends, family and existing subscribers, and I’m perfectly aware that my content will never be good enough to make me the next pewdiepie, and I’m fine with that also – I’m doing it for fun, not as a main income source (though if I can make a little pocket money along the way for a new game now and then, I’ll not complain!). My offline goals on the other hand ARE my bread and butter – if I can get more qualifications to bring in more money to improve my families way of life, and support those I already donate to even more, then so much the better.
Family comes first. 2017 is, for me, about family and friends. If my YouTube channel becomes a burden, then I’ll have no issues with taking it down so I can concentrate on real life matters. It’s fun, but when it becomes not fun, you’ll be the first to know, and that is when I’ll call it a day.
I’ve waffled on for far too long now, so I’ll end here. Happy New Year, and may 2017 bring you all happiness, peace and prosperity.